Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Our little journey..

Ok so I have never blogged before so I am going to try my best at this.These days are definitely flying by. I can't believe its Wednesday already, but I guess that's what you get when you are having fun. Today was my first work day and I didn't know what to expect. After being with the kids for the past two days I really didn't want to leave them. The group that I was in was divided into two smaller groups, one to go to a school and help clean up there, and the other was to paint some stairs in the interns house. I was in the painting group. I have to say that I learned more about myself and the others in my group during our time painting; it was serouisly the most amazing experience. We would ask questions and then we would have discussions about our answers. I'm not much of a talker (as my family knows) but I actually talked and had fun. We worked till 12:00 and had lunch. After that we lost a member of our group, she went to play in the park while the rest of us went back to work. At around 3 we finished one coat and went back to the church and then went to the park to play with the kids. Those kids are a bundle of energy, all they wanted to do was play with (and sometimes on) you.  Going back to our discussions I realized that I truly love and miss my family right now. During this time I have seen so many things that remind me of them and it makes me think that these children that we play with need our love too. That is only the short version of my day.. :)
Please continue to pray for us,
~Sarah Hartwell

I also have never done blogging either so Sarah and I are on the same page right now. Today was the first day I worked with the kids at the church. I could not believe how much energy they had and how tiring playing with them is. The kids summer camp is divided into three age groups: Jesus Jammers being the youngest, Grace Grabbers being the middle group, and Word Warriors being the oldest. I along with Kristin and Mike were with the Word Warriors. At first it was hard to try and fit in with the kids because it was our first day working with them. We played dodgeball and then did worship with them and I finally realized that we are not that different. The girls and I had a fun time making bracelets and I really got a chance to get to know them and what a different enviroment they live in. After lunch, we played a massive game of hide-and-go-seek with all of the kids at camp. We were paired into groups with two kids. I hid with Kristin's group and I really connected with the two girls we had. Both Brenda and Cynthia really changed my perspective on this whole experience and really made the day fun and engaging. I truly thank God for putting them in my life. Soon after the kids left, I went down to Hyatt Court and played with them at the park. Several of the kids at the camp live at Hyatt. When I first got there, I was bombarded with kids. They absolutely love hugs and piggy-back rides. They truly need and deserve all the love they can get!! :) Eventually, some of the girls began playing with our hair and styled it in so many different ways! The younger boys love to play basketball and its great to see them interacting with us. I can't believe how attached I am becoming to them and it's God's work to be putting them into my heart. Also, I am amazed we are halfway through our trip and sad that we have to leave this wonderful house of God. I miss everyone in our church family so much and I am so thankful for the continuous prayers. I love you Mom, Dad and Ryan too!!!!
God Bless!!!
-Kaytlynn :) 



The girls love our hair because it is so incredibly different than their's! They even wanted to play with Dan's hair!
 Christina being mauled by the kids!
 Anna attempting to hoola-hoop together with the kids
 Alex chillin' with the boys
 Sarah getting her hair "done"
 The kids LOVE getting piggy back rides! Also, here is a glimpse of the Hyatt Court projects in the back. They are in the process of taking this one down - as you can see, it is pretty run down!
 Here is a view of the garbage and debris from taking it down, but also this is a common scene. Michael loved playing football with the kids!
 Adorable!
 Kim showing us her skills!
 Hanging out at Hyatt Court
 Now this takes some talent :)!


No comments:

Post a Comment